domenica 3 gennaio 2010

Getting ATI Radeon 9500 PRO to work properly on Karmic 9.10


I have an old pc with an ATI Radeon 9500 PRO and Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. I have experienced very slow flash videos, painful loading of wine programs and changing gtk2.0 themes. I have found a solution browsing the internet and unfortunately I cannot give the author the right credits at this moment ( I hope to do it soon editing this post). This solution works like a charm for me:

  1. Run a terminal and type: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop to shut down Gnome.
  2. Log in with your username and password
  3. Now type sudo Xorg -configure to create xorg.conf.new in your home.
  4. Type command sudo gdm stop to restart Gnome.
  5. sudo gedit xorg.conf.new
  6. Add these lines in Section "Device":
  • Option "AGPmode" "1"
  • Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
  • Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
  • Option "AccelDFS" "true"
  • Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
  • Option "EnableDepthMoves" "true"
7. Save as /etc/X11/xorg.conf
8. Repeat steps 1 and 4 to restart Gnome.

I discussed the matter at Ubuntu Forums.

Best regards.